J W Hughes & Co was founded in 1903 by John William Hughes who practised alone until his daughter Agnes Twiston Hughes joined him in 1923 after becoming the first female solicitor to qualify in Wales!
In 1949 Agnes Twiston Hughes became the sole principal of J W Hughes & Co, but was later joined by Barry Clive Kentish. Agnes Hughes, was well known and respected in the local community, and practised until 1961 when she retired. In 1976, the practice moved to new premises at Bank House, Lancaster Square, Conwy and 164 Conway Rd, Llandudno Junction, and Barry Kentish was joined as a partner by Peter Gerrard Shields.
Following Barry Kentish’s retirement, Peter Shields was joined in Partnership by Donald Roberts. Thereafter Alun Thomas joined the practice. For a brief period of some 8 years, the firm also had an office in Penmaenmawr. In 1991, J W Hughes & Co took over the Llandudno firm of Cooper Cummings, and Cathy Cooper became a partner. The firm moved to its present offices at 27 Augusta Street, Llandudno in 1992.
Sadly, in 1993 Peter died at the young age of 43, but left a lasting legacy of care and commitment to clients, which endures to the present day. Cathy Cooper has since retired.
Graham Parry, Philip Kentish (the son of the Barry Kentish), Alun Thomas, Nicholas Passey and Phillip Watters all became partners in the firm. Phillip Watters left the practice in 2015 and Alun Thomas retired in 2018.
Donald Roberts, Graham Parry, Philip Kentish and Nicholas Passey all remain partners of the firm to this day. Solicitor Joseph Hendron, who started his legal training with J W Hughes in 2008 was invited to join the partnership and became a partner in 2018.
With offices in both Conwy & Llandudno and employing over 30 members of staff, J W Hughes & Co represents a legal legacy that we are sure John William Hughes would be proud of!